Thursday, February 10, 2011

Natural Cure for Thrush



Its seems as though for every sickness or issue that has come up with our kids, there is a natural cure. Guess the number of times that Sweetpea and Sweetheart have taken antibiotics...combined...ZERO! Guess how many times they have taken any prescribed medication...again ZERO! So sweetheart came down with a case of thrush. Hmmm, what to do?

First of all, if you don't know, thrush is a yeast infection of the mouth and throat, characterized by patches of white, caused by the fungus Candida albicans.

Yeast is a part of the normal flora in the mouth. Certain conditions, such as antibiotic use, can disturb the natural balance of microorganisms in the mouth and allow the overgrowth of Candida to cause thrush.

Since he has never taken antibiotics, I don't know how he got this. I took them when I was around 35 weeks pregnant with him because of a UTI. They say UTI's can make you go into labor early, so I went ahead and took the meds. Anyway, maybe that's how his flora got unbalanced.

So I did some research and talked to my midwife and this is what balanced my baby:

1. Everyday for a week I cleaned his mouth with diluted white vinegar and a washcloth (he didn't like that too much...poor thing).

2. Cleaned areas on me that came in contact with his mouth ( my NIPS OK?! he's still breast feeding), with a colloidal silver/tea tree oil mix spray that I made and then applied coconut oil (it's a natural anti-fungal).

3. In the morning and evening, sprinkled probiotics on the nipple before he nursed

The thrush is gone without the use of anything harmful on my son!

So, I will continue to share with you other natural cures that work for us. And if there is something that must be fixed by the help of chemicals-um, I mean medicine, then I will share that too, because seriously, modern medicine is SOMETIMES necessary.


Look at that baby. Still cute with a white mouth.

No comments:

Post a Comment