Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Spring Cleaning!


Fumes from conventional cleaning products smell great to me, but then I think about how BAD they are for my body and brain cells! Then I get really sick to my stomach when I think about that precious little girl running around my house in them. Young children are vulnerable to the toxins in such cleaning products. Everything goes in their mouths and they virtually live on the floor. And kids are more sensitive because they are still developing the basic body systems: the brain, internal organs, respiratory and immune systems are not fully developed until adolescence. So what's a girl to do when she wants clean, but toxin-free living?

The simple, cheap, and extremely effective nontoxic cleaning agent that I probably use everyday is white vinegar. Vinegar
kills bacteria, mold and germs and won't hurt Sweetpea. If you like to see things bubble or fizz put some baking soda down on the surface you are cleaning first. This also helps exfoliate the soap scum or dirt in the shower. If you don't like the smell, don't worry, it goes away when you rinse it and it dries. You could also mix a little lemon juice (from a lemon, not from a bottle), vinegar, and water in a spray bottle to help with the vinegar odor.

If you want to get fancy, I make a spray that you can not only clean your toilet with, but also your face (but don't put it in your mucous membranes). I mix tea tree oil, colloidal silver, and reverse osmosis water in a spray bottle. Tea tree oil is a natural antibacterial disinfectant that was commonly used as a general antiseptic by the aborigine tribes for thousands of years. More recently, the scientific community has confirmed that Tea Tree Oil has tremendous medicinal benefits. I used it to get rid of some fungus I had on my toenail. Yeah, it took care of it totally and I didn't have to take that prescription crap that damages your liver and kidneys! Colloidal silver is good for everything (google it). I even drink it when I feel like I'm coming down with something and it goes away. Anyway, this product smells fresh and clean so you may like it better than the vinegar. Oh, and you can buy the tea tree oil and colloidal silver (my dad makes his own) at health food stores or online. I got my tea tree oil from vitacost.com.

1 comment:

  1. Vinegar is great for so many things! Add it to your laundry instead of fabric softener. It softens fabrics without any buildup (like fabric softener adds), helps set any unstable dye in new clothes, and keeps your washer clean. Did you know that using fabric softener on towels makes them less absorbent? If you want to scent your laundry, add a few drops of essential oils to the vinegar.

    I always love seeing your interesting blog posts, keep it up!

    Love, your Sis

    ReplyDelete