Wednesday, January 20, 2010

You know those bumps that some people have on the back of their arms?


I used to have them. They annoyed the crap out of me, so I asked my dermatologist, my esthetician (when I had one), the lady at the makeup counter at Macy's and whoever else would listen, how to get rid of them. I got all kinds of answers: exfoliate every day, moisturize every day, use salicylic acid on them, try this prescription cream etc. Nothing really worked, and since I refuse to give up until I find the truth, I did some research on the subject. It turns out that it is a common condition called keratosis pilaris - a complicated name meaning bumpy skin. Actually, 50% of people have it, so if you don't have it yourself, you probably know someone who does. So guess what? I finally found an actual cure that I tried and it worked! If you suffer from this condition and want to get rid of it, try omega-3 oil. The best kind that I've found is krill oil and I order it from, you guessed it, my favorite website mercola.com. Now, I'm taking Carlson cod liver oil, because I'm not sure if you can take krill oil (it comes from tiny shrimp) while you are pregnant and I know that cod liver is great for an unborn baby's brain development. You can find that kind at most health food stores or online at vitacost.com. It took a while for me to see a difference. I wasn't really inspecting my arms everyday and was actually taking the krill oil for other reasons too, but then noticed one day while wearing a tank top that my arms looked pretty darn good!

I tried to find a pic of the back of my arm, but I guess it's just not natural to take pictures like that, so this is the only one I could find! Sweetpea sat on a strawberry.

1 comment:

  1. Hello.. I have this condition as well. I was told to exfoliate etc too but there wasnt any improvements. I have been trying to find out what these bumps were. If you know more ways to get rid of them, i would appreciate very much.. Thank you very much for this post n_n

    ReplyDelete